tuartholme was established in 1920 by the Religious of the Sacred Heart at the invitation of Archbishop James Duhig in 1914. At this time Reverend Mother Janet Erskine Stuart was Superior General of the Society of the Sacred Heart. The property was named by her half-brother, Richard Wingfield Stuart. Archbishop Duhig later purchased the property and offered to sell it to the Society for the boarding school which they hoped to establish. Stuartholme opened in 1920 with just five children on the school roll and from there has grown to its present enrolment of 680 young women, continuing many of the traditions that are a part of the Sacred Heart schools world-wide. Like many other schools, its buildings were given over to the military during World War II when it became the 42nd General Hospital of the United States Army, its students finding refuge and continuing their education at Canungra and then at Southport.
Over the years, as the school roll has grown, the facilities, too, have been developed. The library wing was built in 1986 and replaced the wartime structure left by the American army, the Spruson wing was added in 1992 and work began in 2002 on the multi-purpose Joigny Centre which replaced the old nurses’ quarters erected in 1942. Sports facilities, too, have been developed over time with the most notable additions being the five tennis courts, the 25m short-course pool and the school oval.